Tuesday 21 December 2010

Project 2: Lines - Exercises, Notes and Conclusions



HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL LINES

Stability, subordinate.  Graphic quality and expressive association.  Make divisions, locate things, sense of direction and length.

Horizontal - Static Stable

Vertical - Movement, viewer confrontation.

Definitions of vertical on the Web:
  • at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line; "a vertical camera angle"; "the monument consists of two vertical pillars supporting a horizontal slab"; "measure the perpendicular height"
  • something that is oriented vertically
  • erect: upright in position or posture; "an erect stature"; "erect flower stalks"; "for a dog, an erect tail indicates aggression"; "a column still vertical amid the ruins"; "he sat bolt upright"
  • upright: a vertical structural member as a post or stake; "the ball sailed between the uprights"
The Exercise

I started this exercise on 3 December 2010 and it has ran right through to 27 December. 

Brief: Go out and look for horizontal and vertical lines.  These are the example that I have.  I need to find a way to show the details below on the slide show, but can not waste any more time looking for answers to doing things a better way on the blog.  Need to catch up!











 
  1. Balcony lines 1/160 at f11 22.8mm ISO 200 A photograph of a row of balconies in Birmingham that flow and project movement, though are stable in structure.  A design I believe of the 20's era.
  2. Wall line 1/250 sec at f7.1 50mm ISO 200 A wall to show a vertical upright, smacks in the face and stops the viewer making them look up
  3. The Bar Line 1/8 sec at f7.1 50mm ISO 800 A row of bar bottles, a static view for the customers choice
  4. The Wellie Line 1/40 sec at f18 35mm ISO 100 A line of progression and choice
  5. The web of lines 1/30 sec at f4 50mm ISO 100  A depiction of both horizontal and vertical lines.  The power of cobweb is the complexity of its construction.  The lines both vertical and horizontal show the extreme intelligence of the construction of the web and have you moving in every direction
  6. Branch Lines 1/320 sec at f4 50mm ISO 100  The branches of a shrub in my back garden.  The vertical lines are prominent and clear and the point in the photograph continues in the composition throughout its depth.  I really like this photograph, it feels mystical and absorbing.
  7. Table lines 1/6 sec t f4.5 30mm ISO 400 Depicting the lines in the wood grain
  8. Brick & Shadow Line 1/6 f4.5 30mm ISO 400 A formulation of horizontal and verticals lines of brick and shadow
  9. Electrical Cable lines 1/6 sec at f4.5 200mm ISO 400 Horizontal cables running across a beautiful evening photograph
  10. Allotment canes 1/500 sec at f4.5 28mm ISO 200 A runner bean horizontal line
As I have gone through the course over the last few months I have began to understand things more and more.  Some of the images that I have used above I would change setting for and in honesty can not understand why I used some settings, except for I did not understand.  I also have acquired a Sony SLT A55 which is a little different from my A100 SLR. I used it for a while until my A100 was fixed, now it is back I will carry on with that to avoid my confusion and understanding.


Diagonals

Using my Sony 12-14mm wide angle lens.  I stood under that large oak on our village green to acquire this shot.  We had been out walking collecting other photographs for the first part of this project and as I walked towards the tree I saw shapes and patterns I had never seen before, even though I had looked at it for the last 8 years, everyday! 
1/160 sec at f11 50mm ISO 200
The photograph has not been cropped or recomposed in anyway.  I did however process the image in Exposure 3 using the Holga option.  This resulted in the sky being given more definition, which in turn gave more impact and drama to the oak tree and showing the diagonals even more.

1/10 sec at f45 11mm ISO 200
Taken with my wide angle again at a low angle.  A beautiful illustration of diagonals.  I am still on the look out for more to understand the concept further.  I don't seem to automatically see the diagonals in photographs but as I continue through the course I am sure I will understand more.


Curves

The New Worcester Bridge

1/13 sec at f29 18mm ISO 200

A beautifully designed bridge that was built for foot passengers to cross the River Severn further to new home development .  There are curves and lines around the whole area it is truly beautiful.  I have used it several times in this part of the course as it depicts exercise requirements so well.

The Conifer Curve
1/13 sec at f5 15mm ISO 100

A row of conifers trees that contrasted so beautifully with the snow.  The positioning of the trees had been thought out superbly well as they just flowed along.  I am sure they are looked after well to maintain the lovely shape.

The Lenches Curve

1/160 sec at F5 230mm ISO 100

Around me in Worcestershire there are lots of tree orchards in a area called the Lenches.  The bare orchards were brilliantly lined up in the winter snow and the natural curve of the land struck me immediately.  Something I guess you would not see so easily when the trees were laden with fruit and the sun shining.  The snow and the baroness helped to show the opportunity very well.

The Snow Covered Old Dead Tree

Taken with my compact with gel filter held over 1/250 sec at f5.6

I have been experimenting with filters and used a blue filter here thinking I could get more depth and detail, to avoid the glare of the snow.  Snow is a real challenge along with photographing anything that is pure white and something I want to master.  I am hoping with knowledge I will be able to get more from filters  The curve of the tree is strong and I thought of cropping so the curve was even closer.  But for the purpose of the exercise I cropped a little but left mostly as took.

Conclusions

I have enjoyed this section of Part 2.  The learning process is improving my understanding and decision making greatly. When I take a photograph now I am thinking all the time.  The lines I have found are strong and usually express power and strength, whereas the curves are more playful and fun to this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive